Purchasing a baby stroller for the first time is both exciting and a little frustrating, especially if you haven’t done your homework and researched your options. The short answer to the question “how do I choose a baby stroller” is with preparation. We can easily compare the stroller to a grownup’s car purchase. Unlike all the other baby equipment that is often related to small purchases, buying a baby stroller is a significant investment. It is not among the cheapest products and there are so many different products sold by brands online and in-store that it is natural to get lost somewhere along the way.
If you’re a first-time parent, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered and will share with you everything you need to know about baby strollers to help you make the right choice. After reading this article, you’ll have put away all the stress and doubts and will be planning for cute baby stroller hook clips that you’ll be accessorizing with and the stroller cup holders that can truly save the day.
In this article we’ll look at the following useful information on baby strollers:
- Different types of baby strollers
- Questions to ask
- Helpful tips
Baby stroller types you should know about
Similarly to a car, various kinds of baby strollers can be purchased. While some of these will be a perfect match for your needs, others may not exactly fit in with your lifestyle, your baby’s age, or your preferences. Even if it’s purely a visual mismatch rather than a functional one, remember that you will be spending a lot of time with this piece of equipment and you want it to be a pleasant experience, both for you and your little one.
The Full-Sized Stroller
As the name suggests, the full-sized stroller is stable, reliable, and pretty much capable of fulfilling any need, in any part of your baby’s stroller years. This option is one of the most popular ones among parents mostly because of the wide scope of advantages. They are long-lasting, reliable, and quite traditional. This stroller type can be used from the first time you leave the house with your newborn until the time comes for them to walk instead of taking rides. Depending on the brand you choose, the full-sized stroller will come with:
- A deep seat recline
- The possibility to amend the seat into a forward-facing or rear-facing position
- Flexible design that can support a baby or a toddler
- Reliable tires
- Enough storage space
- A spacious and comfy seat for your baby
The only discomfort is the weight and size of this product. If your daily routine involves public transport of climbing up and down stairs, this option may not be the best one unless you can rely on some help.
Again, the name gives out a lot about the product. Perfect for physically active parents who love a good jog in the park, the jogging stroller is created with heavy yet lightweight products. The reason for this is to create a product that is easy to manoeuvre and satisfy the needs of parents who are always on the run. Here’s what you can expect:
- A wrist strap for safety and security
- A three-wheeled design for extra flexibility
- Car-seat compatible
- Deep reclining seats
- Basket space for storage
- A hand brake
- Durable and long-lasting product
If you think this is a suitable option for you, make sure that your three-wheeled friend is specifically optimized for your needs. Ask about the brakes and make sure that all of the necessary safety features are present.
The Umbrella Stroller
An extremely convenient choice, the umbrella stroller doesn’t offer as many functionalities as the full-sized one but is easy and fun to use, extremely portable, and an ideal choice for those of you who travel a lot. It’s worth mentioning that if your baby is younger than six months, this option is not a great idea due to the seat recline features. You can rely on the umbrella stroller for its:
- Lightweight design
- Partial seat recline
- Expandable canopy
- Curved handles
- Easy to fold nature
- Car-seat compatible
Keep in mind that the umbrella stroller may not always be the most comfortable ride for your little one. Check the suspension and seat support before making the decision.
The Car Seat Carrier
Imagine being able to turn your baby’s car seat into a stroller in the blink of an eye? Well, with this type of stroller you can. What else can the car seat carrier do for you?
- Offers a compact solution
- A lightweight option
- A seamless entrance and exit from a car when necessary
Although they are amazing, you may have to say goodbye to your car seat carrier quickly as the infant car seat will become too small for your little one in no time. It is up to you to decide whether it is worth the investment considering that you won’t be able to use it for long.
The Travel System Stroller
Another option specifically designed to suit the needs of those who travel by car a lot, the travel system connects the infant car seat with the stroller. You can enjoy different types of travel systems based on your preference and requirements. You can find full-size, lightweight, and jogging travel systems.
- An adapter connects the infant car seat and the stroller
- A convenient solution
- Perfect for transferring a sleeping baby from the car to the stroller and vice versa without waking them up
As in the case of the car seat carrier, prepare to stop using this product quickly as the baby will outgrow it.
Now that we’ve covered some of the most popular types of baby strollers, let’s move on to the questions that you want to be asking when the time comes to make a choice.
Top baby stroller questions you want to ask as a parent
Regardless of whether you’ll be shopping online or in a store, make a list of these questions and try to find an answer to as many as you can before making a decision.
- Is the stroller certified? This can give you an idea about the safety features of the product. Certified strollers will carry a sticker indicating that they have been certified by an official authority. Alternatively, you can find information online regarding stroller brands and their certification processes.
- Where will you be using the stroller? Of course, you can’t plan every single walk or adventure with your little one but you probably have an idea of the terrain that the stroller will be used most of the time. Based on your answer, you will be able to orient yourself towards a suitable option based on the stroller’s description and specifications.
- For what period of time are you looking to use the stroller? From the types of strollers we looked at earlier, we saw that there are options that can support your newborn until they become a toddler while other solutions are suitable for specific time periods of your baby’s life, depending on their age and weight.
- What is your budget? Buying a baby stroller is certainly an exciting time and it is easy to get over our heads when it comes to the financial side of things. As much as you may adore a certain brand or stroller type, remember to check our budget and make sure that you are not investing too much. Depending on your taste and preferences, a baby stroller could cost as little as $50 but could also go up to $2,000 and more.
- What’s the return policy and the warranty on the baby stroller? Yes, the stroller may be a product that you use for a year or two but let’s face it – having a guarantee that you are backed up even if something goes wrong is a huge relief. Make sure you read the details carefully before making any purchases.
You will notice that the questions will come along once you’ve started doing your research and speaking to friends and close ones about baby strollers. However, these are some of the basic and essential questions to ask before making your choice.
Tips that will help you make a better decision
For starters, try to visit a physical store and test different types of baby strollers before setting your eyes on anything. A description online may sound brilliant but you won’t be able to be sure unless you touch the product, make a few steps with it and test how it turns, stops, and manoeuvres. Try to lift the stroller and see how you feel. Is it too heavy and bulky? If you were alone, would you be able to handle it?
Open the stroller using only one of your hands and then repeat with both hands. Play around with the backrest to test how much effort you have to put in. If possible, do a trial test with your car to see if you choose a car-compatible stroller to see if everything works and fits. Most importantly, check the brake system to analyze how quickly it responds.
You’re ready to go
We’ve now covered the most essential aspects to buying a baby stroller. You are now ready to go and pick the one that will turn your walks with your baby into a magical time.